Is there a song you'd like to hear someone cover? I'm your man. I can never promise quality. And I certainly can't promise you'll like it. So suggest a song and if I pick it, you'll hear my interpretation.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Challenge #1

First off, I'm loving the enthusiasm so far. I was certain my call for covers would fall on deaf ears. But I read wrong and it looks like that call fell on some Def Ears. Secondly, I would recommend that if you're unfamiliar with any of the songs below that you look them up on YouTube. There were a few I didn't know and I'm thinking this could be a fun way to broaden your horizons, too. Third; please do me a favor and spread the word to anybody you think may be interested. I'm thinking of doing two songs a month so I need as many suggestions as possible. Deadline for suggestions is this Wednesday at March 31. This is what I have so far. I'll update it as I get more:

1) Catholic Girls by Frank Zappa - Something wild right off the bat. I'm a sucker for change-ups and this song zigs when you think it's going to zag.
2) Holy Diver by Dio - The requester asked that I let my sister sing it. I will admit she does it well.
3) Tempted by Squeeze The requester of this absolute jam actually requested an old band of mine do this song. We didn't end up doing it, but it would have been fun to do.
4) Cool Kids by Screeching Weasel - This is a fun song that I was actually unfamiliar with.
5) Ducktales Theme by Calvin Coolidge and the Roaring Twenties - I actually don't know who's responsible for this balls-out romp of a song. Whoever it is ruled my world in 1989. I thought it would impress a girl I liked if I had a shirt that played this song. You know, like you press a button on it and it plays the theme. Shut up. It makes sense.
6) Nobody Will Ever Write a Song About Us by Dynamite Van Pipe - A monster of a song penned by two super cool guys separated only by the Atlantic Ocean and the side of the road they drive on.
7) December 1963 (Oh, What A Night) by The Four Seasons - I'm not sure if it was Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons at that time or not. But what I do know is that this song has an incredible piano and bassline that's begging to be sampled.
8) Foolin' by Def Leppard - From when the drummer had two arms and any video "concept" would suffice.
9) Not a Second Time by The Beatles - An often overlooked song by an overlooked band. A critic mentioned how the song had qualities reminiscent of Beethoven and the "intellectual" phenomenon of Beatle songwriting was born.
10) Beercan by Beck - An interesting choice from the Beck album I've spent the least time with. Except for the latest one. I just got it like a month ago.
11) ??? by What's Your 20? - This page is intentionally left blank.
12) These Boots Are Made for Walking by Nancy Sinatra - Who doesn't love this song? That weird guitar sound and the snare pop pop popping on to the scene. Not to mention the sneaky bassline. The Peanuts kids would look cool dancing to this song.
13) I'm Your Man by Leonard Cohen - He may sound like a serial killer, but that's part of the charm. And nobody... and I mean NOBODY can write like Leonard can.
14) The Trooper by Iron Maiden - Only the scariest kids wore the Maiden shirts and shopped at Trails. Sing it... Trails Department Stores. For the new counter-culture of the 90's... TRAILS...TRAils.... trails...Not from Arizona? Your loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment